Though we are centrally located in Kansas City, we have proudly serviced thousands of homeowners for Radon Testing and Radon Mitigation in Independence. This city also holds a special place in our heart as it is the home of the Missouri Mavericks. We have sponsored Mavericks games over the years with the Certified Radon Game Day for the hospital’s Survive & Thrive Program – a program that provides ongoing support for young patients who have survived pediatric cancer and their families. The Certified Radon Game Day treats these kids and their families to a free Maverick’s Hockey game and a special behind-the-scenes tour of the arena and team operations. For more on that, click here.
Independence Radon Zone Information
Independence, MO is located in Jackson County, which has an EPA assigned Radon Zone of 1. A radon zone of 1 predicts an average indoor radon screening level greater than 4 pCi/L, which is above the recommended levels assigned by the EPA. According to the EPA, Independence is located in a high-risk area of the country.
Independence is the fifth largest city in the state of Missouri. It falls within the Jackson County lines. It is a historic city, known as a major point of the Oregon, Santa Fe, and California Trails. President Harry S. Truman was born in the city, and both he and his wife are buried there. It became a part of the United States as part of the Louisiana Purchase. It is actually named after the Declaration of Independence. It was also the home of two big battles in the Civil War. Independence is a very unique city with a rich history.
Radon services we provide to Independence:
- Residential Radon Mitigation (also called, radon reduction, radon remediation, radon removal, and radon abatement)
- Commercial Radon Mitigation (schools, healthcare facilities, office buildings, multi-family apartments and more)
- Radon Testing (residential & commercial)
- Active Continuous Monitoring (best suited for real estate, takes 48 hours to complete)
- Passive Monitoring - short-term charcoal canister testing & long term charcoal canister testing
- Radon Service – Fan replacement & system maintenance
- Passive-line Activations – Newer construction homes pre-installed with a passive radon system can be “activated” by adding a radon fan to further reduce radon levels. These services include fan installation, electrical work, and roof penetration.
Here are some Frequently Asked Questions regarding Radon Mitigation Independence
- Are radon levels Higher in Independence?
By the rest of the country's standards, it could be labeled as high. It is in Radon Zone 1, which means it is in an area labeled as high-risk. As far as compared to other areas in the Greater KC area, it varies greatly.
- How often should I test for Radon?
We recommend annual, if not bi-annual testing for your home to ensure levels are safe.
- How often will I have to pay attention to a mitigation system?
More often than not, you set it and forget it in a sense. That's kind of the point, peace of mind. We recommend you check the levels on the system once a month to ensure your fan is getting the right amount of suction. Other than that, it requires no real monitoring. That being said, sometimes fans start running loudly or burn out (usually 10 years later), and they require service. In short, you probably won't have to think about it 99.9% of the time.
- What kind of testing do you do?
Certified Radon conducts an affordable, professional short-term radon test that meets the EPA’s standards of radon testing. The testing device, a continuous radon monitor (CRM), is a calibrated instrument that will be placed in the lowest level of the home or building suitable for occupancy. Radon testing requires a minimum 48-hour test period with 12 hours of "closed-house conditions" prior to conducting the test. The continuous radon monitor (CRM) will take hourly readings for the duration of the test
- Does Radon Really Cause Cancer?
Yes. Radon rapidly decays, releasing radioactive particles into the air. When inhaled, these particles damage cells in the lung. This risk is associated with long-term exposure to high levels of radon. Exposure to smoke and/or other existing lung diseases compounded with radon exposure may increase risk.
Recent Test Cases - Radon Mitigation Independence: (Addresses not given for privacy's sake)
- Through Radon Mitigation, we were able to take a home in 64055 from 14.7 pCi/L to 1.2 pCi/L.
- Through Radon Mitigation, we were able to take a home in 64056 from 11.6 pCi/L to 0.4 pCi/L.
About Certified Radon
Since opening in 2008, we’ve grown to become Kansas City’s premier provider for radon removal and mitigation services. We’ve proudly served thousands of homeowners, property managers, and commercial property owners and look forward to serving you!
Our Mission: To serve with Heart, show up with Hustle, change the game by always finding a way to be the solution. Winning the trust of our clients exemplifying integrity and respect to be the industry Champion.
2707 NE Brooktree Lane
Kansas City, MO 64119
M-F: 8am to 5pm
Reviews From Fellow Independence Homeowners: